2018 is almost over and 2019 is upon us – which means it’s time for the holidays once again!
For many of us, this time of year means certain things in our living rooms that wouldn’t normally be there: live trees, strands of festive lights, fires in our fireplaces.
Of course, with these unique, seasonal items come some unique, seasonal risks.
To help keep your family safe, check out these simple holiday safety tips from Cincinnati Insurance:
• Choose the right tree! Healthy trees have green needles that do not fall off easily and supple, not brittle, branches.
• Water your tree daily, and keep your tree indoors for no more than two and a half weeks.
• Remove the tree immediately if it stops taking water or if needles become brittle or begin to drop.
• Test each strand of holiday lights in an outlet before hanging.
• Inspect strands for frayed wire and bulbs that are cracked, broken or missing.
• Touch each strand to be sure the wire and bulbs are not heating up. Discard any warm strands.
• Decorate trees only with ornaments and electric lights, avoiding candles.
• Display candles away from curtains, paper and other combustible items and pets.
• Always extinguish candles when you leave the room, and monitor and trim wicks as you enjoy the candle’s warmth and aroma.
• Use a dish or container designed to catch melted wax.
• Always lock up candles, matches and lighters to protect children.
• Before you get toasty in front of a fire, have your fireplace and chimney professionally cleaned.
• Use only aged, hard firewood to start and fuel your fire. Wrapping paper and tree needles and branches burn unpredictably and belong in the trash.
See “Keep your home safe this holiday season” for even more information.
Ready to begin exploring your homeowners or auto insurance options? Contact Saginaw Bay Underwriters today.